Thursday, October 2, 2008

Grandparents

Yesterday I was working in the kitchen and Mariska was with me playing and doing her thing. I gave her a bottled water and went back to the bread I was making. As soon as I turned my back she did what I suppose any two year old would do and dumped the entire water bottle on the floor. Since this is not the first time this has happened (you think I would learn) I told Mariska to go to time out. She marched right to the corner and stood there for all of two seconds and then came back out and down the hall. I wanted her to stay there until I got the water cleaned up and I could talk with her about it. I told her again to go to time out and she did the same thing walked there stood in the corner two seconds and started down the hall. I finally got everything cleaned up (while telling her over and over again to go to time out with the same reaction from her) and had my little chat with her about pouring water on the floor. Bet you are wondering were I am going with this. Last night while we sitting at the dinner table Jim (my father-in-law) came and told me that he found the whole water and timeout situation so funny he actually had to walk away from the hall so Mariska (or I for that matter) didn't see him laughing. So I guess my question to you is why is everything so darn funny to our parents when it is not that funny to us? Is it because they have already experienced it and know what it feels like? I have called my mom several times asking her to remind me that we are supposed to love our children no matter what they have done to my wall, or my couch, or my brand new shirt, or my Piano bench. She will ask what Mariska had done and after I tell her what my wonderful daughter did she laughs and laughs. I know that some things I will look back on and think "hey that was funny" even if it is not funny now because it has already started to happen. I know this probably sounds like I am complaining, I'm not. I find it funny myself and am wondering if everyone's parents are like this or is it just mine and my husbands.

2 comments:

chicklegirl said...

I'm sure they're laughing because they know from experience that the stakes are so low when you only have a two year-old dumping out water, compared with a teenager totalling a car. They're laughing while they think, "Don't sweat the small stuff." I remember once Jimmy dumped a bottle of nailpolish remover on top of a prized antique vanity that had been my great-grandmother's. I was so upset, but after I had time to think about it, I realized, it's just a possession. And it came to me: what would my great-grandmother care about more--her vanity, or that I was having age-appropriate expectations of my child and treating him in a loving, patient, calm way? Yeah, that put it all into perspective for me. But I think I need a reminder now and then to just let things go that don't really matter in the eternal scheme of things.

Meaghan said...

I wanted to let you know that I finally launched my website www.getthebean.com. We are selling all sorts of great coffee's, teas and treats.

To celebrate the launch we are doing a ton of giveaways. If you would like to get in on it check out www.getthebean.blogspot.com

Also, if you are interested in raising $$$ for a charity of your choice check out www.gtbfightscancer.blogspot.com

Thanks so much!

Meg