Sunday, February 28, 2010

Singing with Daddy

A friend and I decided to have a movie night last. I took Jack with me and that gave John time to get homework done without interruptions. I left while Riska was taking a bath so John did the whole bedtime routine. The only part of bedtime that she insists on is me singing her songs, the rest can be done by either of us. Since I was gone she let John sing to her. About a year and a half ago I started asking her what songs she would like me to sing. The very first song she requested is a lullaby my dad wrote when I was a child. It is called Child's Lullaby but Riska has changed the name to Grandpa's Song. I started singing it to her when she was a newborn. For some reason it is the song she always wants to hear. Grandpa's Song is the only song that gets requested every night. A couple weeks ago the primary chorister stopped and asked me what Grandpa's Song was because Riska had requested it during Singing time. She sings it all the time, to Jack, her stuffed animals, and sometimes she will sing it with me. John had to learn the words to Grandpas Song for nights like last night when I was not home to sing to her. So John got her hair blow dried he read her books and then asked "what song would you like me to sing?" Of course the answer was Grandpa's Song. Well apparently Riska didn't like John's rendition of Grandpa's Song because as he is singing she is doing the actions to Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree. John said it really looked liked she was singing Popcorn to herself, while he was singing Grandpa's Song. He also said it took everything he had to not laugh. Kids!! :)

2 comments:

Kerry Hoaglund said...

That is so adorable! I love it!

Jolie said...

That's such a sweet story!! In that teenie body of hers is packed SO much personality, I swear!!
Little did your dad know that when he wrote the Lullaby song years ago for HIS daughter, he was really writing it for generations to come. Now that's cool. ;-)